Ah, the lazy days of summer. The longest, warmest days of the year means the cold-weather date options you’ve subjected yourself to all winter just won’t do (we’re looking at you cozy wine bars and curled up in front of a roaring fire!). Summer means great weather, tons of time spent outdoors and the shedding of restrictive and unflattering layers.
Depending upon where you live, you will have a vast array of options. If you are adventurous at heart, maybe a day road trip within a few hours from home will transform your options from a day at the mall, to a day at the beach.
1. Grab a towel, some beach balls, maybe a floating mattress or two, head to the nearest waterfront. It may not be as easy to float in the ocean as the nearest lake but hopefully you have somewhere close where you can grab some “watertherapy” for the day!
2. How about we…have a stargazing picnic? Make dinner, grab some bug spray, and head outside or up to the roof to eat under the stars. You can make it romantic by setting up lights, pillows and blankets—your own romantic rooftop fort. Make a playlist for the occasion as you lie back and try to point out as many constellations as you can. It’s the perfect setting for a perfect kiss.
3. Let’s go hiking to somewhere beautiful! OK, so if you live on the west coast, hiking when it’s 110 degrees in summer just might not be the greatest idea. However, you can go early in the morning, hike to one of the scenic mountains in the area and watch the sunrise. Trust me, it’s one of the most beautiful sights you will see.
4. Visit a botanical garden. If you are in a major city, you most likely have a zoo, botanical garden or something similar. Phoenix has an absolutely amazing botanical garden, The Desert Botanical Gardens. There is no shortage of beautiful cacti and blooming flowers all year long. In late spring/early summer, the cacti are all blooming and there are some beautiful flowers to see. There is also an abundance of wildlife as well. It can definitely be a very romantic place to walk, hold hands, take in some beautiful landscape and just enjoy some one on one time.
5. Grab something cool! Ice Cream! Yes, it’s not just for kids. You can grab your sweetie and head to the nearest ice cream shop for a scoop, cone or shake. It really is simple to bond over a shake with 2 straws. 😉
Have fun in some simple ways this summer. There is no need to have to spend a lot of money just to have a fun date this summer! Keep it simple, sweetie. After all, it’s about the memories you will make, not the dollars you will spend.